Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thank you

You will probably never read this.  I've heard of your legendary distaste for blogs.  "All angst and nonsense," you said.  I'm sorry that this form of communication has lost your trust.  I've tried to avoid such complaints and bitterness in my blog, but I'm afraid that this post may descend to that level. 
When I injured myself again, (Yes, again.  I've been on an injury streak since the late summer) I mentioned that I'd known for a while that I just needed to stop running for two weeks.  And then you said those revelatory words: "I thought you were smarter than that."  The funny thing is, I'd never thought of it that way before.  I knew it was bad to just push through an injury.  But, I thought, as long as it wasn't hurting, I could run without a problem.  I had a vague knowledge that it was probably weakening it in the long run, but I pushed that distasteful idea aside, and ran anyway.  I'd never considered it a foolish act.  Just a driven one.  I viewed it as a type of 'toughness' highly desirable in a good runner.
What a fool I've been.
So thank you for abruptly knocking some sense into me.  Clearly I needed it.  And as a painful as that revelation was, I think that it will pay off in the end.  I am taking two weeks off.  I'll find other things to do with my time.

I'm glad that I have friends who are willing to make those sometimes painful observations that I am sure will change me for the better.

On a happier note, I got a pair of incredibly cheap running shoes today on super-clearance.  They're Vibram FiveFingers, a novel new type of shoe that is specifically designed to not have extra padding. As such, it forces runners to run efficiently with minimal impact on the ground, decreasing damage to ligaments, tendons, and bones.
Note: I'm sorry if the above link seems like advertising.  I'm not advertising, just making sure that I give credit where credit is due.  Vibram has done a pretty good job.  I've spoken to runners who swear by the FiveFingers, even while running on coarse gravel.  They're a remarkable product. 
I'm currently in the process of breaking them in.  I suppose I can take my time, since I'm not going running for the next two weeks.  Anyhow, it's cold outside, and I have no desire to freeze a couple of toes off.

Oh, and I'm grateful for snow, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment