Friday, December 10, 2010

A quick one...

There was a sign ahead.  I was driving along the winding country road, admiring the scenery and considering my route and plans for the day.  I squinted to read ahead.  What was that it said?  Ah, yes, wombat crossing.  Funny.  I haven't seen a wombat in years.  I didn't change anything significantly about my driving.  Wombats aren't that much of a problem.  
A flash of color caught my eye.  A colorful bird, highlighted against the dark canopy.  I followed it as I drove.  It was a straight stretch, I could drive while watching the sky.  
I glanced back at the road.  And did a major double-take.  I saw a wombat.  That on its own stunned me; I'd never actually seen one before in the wild, just in zoos.  It was a strange creature.  Compact, very heavy-set, and yet graceful in its own unique way.  
Then, I realized I needed to stop.  And fast. The wombat was speeding towards me at about 50 miles per hour.  Shoot.  I lifted my foot off the accelerator, and then paused for another moment.  I saw another wombat.  And another.  There was a whole string of wombats crossing the road at the same place, just a hundred yards past the sign.  I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late.  I rammed into two of them at once.  The car stopped instantly.  My seatbelt snapped into place, the airbag exploded in my face.  I was stopped in the very middle of the road, and as I watched, more and more wombats flooded out over me. They plodded along dully, ignoring their surroundings.  
Wombat after wombat after wombat.  All trudging towards some unknown destination, not stopping for anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment