Thursday, December 16, 2010

Helping

I love to help people, to make people happy.  A word of thanks or a helping hand when someone least expects it is always a pleasant surprise.  I love the satisfaction of a job well done, especially when that job in no way benefits myself.  That selfless helping spirit is contagious, too.  Others of like mind chip in, and before you know it, you have half a dozen people contributing to a job they don't have to.  In many cases, it is just the right thing to do, or the nice thing to do.  It's not required of you, and no one asked you to do it, but you do it nonetheless. It is this fact that makes the entire process so satisfying. 
I love the feeling of helping, of having helped, and of being helped.  It's a great cycle.  I have found that by pure acts of - not charity, because that implies a lowliness on the part of the helped, but perhaps... selfless helping, I have gained some people's trust or friendship.  A hug on a bad day or a smile when someone needs it most is enough to brighten someone's life just slightly.  And then, when I'm having a bad day, I have no lack of people to turn to.  People who are willing to help me without keeping track or necessarily expecting anything in return ("okay, I've helped you twice, but you've only helped me once - you owe me big time").  People who are willing to return a smile, offer a hug or condolence, or just be there beside me when I need them. 
It's fantastic.  I help them.  They help me.  Together, we make the world a brighter, happier, and better place.  

1 comment:

  1. You would be a good Order of the Arrow candidate. Also, suggestion for college: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Phi_Omega
    apo.org
    :)
    I'll probably be doing that myself.

    ReplyDelete