Sunday, November 28, 2010

Stars

Stars have fascinated humans since they were able to look up.  Those pinpricks of light have been emblems of the universe's mysteries.  Philosophers and scientists spent several millenia simply finding a way to describe their motion in the heavens, and are still working on explaining their behaviors. 
But really, the explanation doesn't take away any of the awe I feel as I look above me, and see the same stars and constellations as humans across the ages.  The motions across the heavens are so consistent and reliable.  I love the opportunity to go outside on a moonless night, as far from light pollution as I can manage, and lay on my back to admire the stars.  Over the course of an hour, I can see the motion about the pole star, and watch the rising and setting of some of my favorite constellations. 
Apart from the sheer awe-inspiring aspect of stars, it's also really cool to consider the fact that we're seeing things that happened millions or even billions of years ago.  As fast as light travels, the vast emptiness of space wins out, and it takes eons for us to see stars. 
They are awe-inspiring and wonderous.

I'm glad of clear, dark nights and the beautiful twinkling of stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment