Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harry Potter!

Well, I'm not generally one to rant about movies, let alone movies based on books (don't even get me started on Eragon), but earlier today, I went and saw Harry Potter 7, Part 1.  It was fantastic.  I'll admit most of the story had slipped my mind at the time.  After all, I'd only read the seventh book once, about three days after it came out, so it's not exactly fresh in my mind.  Even so, it seemed quite accurate to the story (a blissful change from some of the previous HP movies), and the special effects were fantastic.
Note: I'll try not to give anything away, but if you really want to experience the movie or story for yourself, I strongly advise you stop reading now.
It was also fascinating to see how some of the characters have grown up. At several points during the movie, I was struck by how grown up Harry looked.  Perhaps it was the traces of a beard on his face, perhaps it was a result of plentiful makeup and extensive directorial consideration.  In any case, he certainly came across as an adult, rather than a child.  Ron and Hermione look much more adult than in previous films, but not nearly as grown up as Harry.
Anyhow, I liked it enough to pick up the book again.  I'm about 150-200 pages in now, and as far as I can tell, the movie was incredibly true to the book.

I'm thankful for two things today:
1) Awesome eyes in my (Linux! :-) ) taskbar that follow my mouse.
2) Discovering old things in my closet I haven't looked at in years.  The thrill of discovery mingled with the comfort of the long-standing - a glorious feeling.

Hey - smile!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment