Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cold

It's not even winter yet, and it's already cold.  That kind of cold that seeps into you slowly and takes a hold of you, numbing you to everything else.  Just being outside for a few scant minutes, it feels like my nose is about to fall off.  It's not exactly pleasant.  I've heard that if you fall asleep in the cold, you will never wake up. That sounds reasonable enough.  After all, while sleeping, the heart rate slows, breathing calms, and you cool down.  Combine that with the cold outside, and you have a recipe for disaster. 
I have a distinctly love-hate relationship with the cold.  I hate the way it hurts as a breeze blows on my face, the way that it makes any injury smart in the chill air.  But I also love the excuse to stay inside, to curl up in my blankets and go into a temporary hibernation.  I also find snow beautiful, though we haven't gotten any yet.  The gentle and silent fall of snowflakes is a glorious thing to behold. 
Plus, snowmen are always nice to make, and snowball fights are a consistent source of amusement in the winter months. 
So it's not all bad.

I am glad for warm soup on cold nights, filling my stomach and warming me to the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment