Sunday, November 6, 2011

An adventure!

At Mudd, I live only a few miles from the base of the nearest mountain. It turns out that it's really a 2.8-mile straight shot down a single road - even I couldn't possibly get lost on the way. Anyway, last night, I decided that today would be the perfect day to go check it out. I packed myself a breakfast, set out gobs of layers against the (gasp) forty degree weather in the mornings, and got up early to head out. Even the threat of light drizzles throughout the morning wasn't enough to dissuade me. Unfortunately, I don't have the endurance (or the time) at the moment to run a solid six miles in a single go, but that just made it the perfect unicycle outing.
It was glorious. The rain (mostly) held off, with just a few light showers here and there along the way. It was an amazing feeling to watch the mountains, a constant backdrop around here, slowly getting closer over the course of a half-hour ride. The sidewalks were pretty awesome, too. It's like they were designed for fledgeling unicyclists to practice on!
I would totally post a picture of the curvy paths here, if I hadn't just somehow lost all the ones I took between the memory card from my camera and my pictures folder. I suppose I'll have to get a picture next time!
I reached the trailhead for a 5-mile loop, which looks like an awesome trip. It was pretty busy today, probably because it's a weekend, but I might be able to pay it a longer visit in relative isolation during the week (now that it's the second half-semester, I only have one class on both Tuesdays and Thursdays). I look forward to exploring it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment